Here are the main limitations to using business rules from Microsoft official materials:
- Business rules run only when the form loads and when field values change. They do not run when a record is saved, unless the scope for the rule is set at an entity level.
- Business rules work only with fields. If you need to interact with other visible elements, such as tabs and sections, within the form you need use form scripts.
- When you set a field value by using a business rule, any OnChange event handlers for that field will not run. This is to reduce the potential for a circular reference, which could lead to an infinite loop.
- If a business rule references a field that is not present on a form, the rule will simply not run. There will be no error message.
- Whole Number fields that use the formats for TimeZone, Duration, or Language will not appear in the rule editor for the conditions or actions, so they cannot be used with business rules.
- For Microsoft Dynamics CRM for tablets, the definition of the business rules are downloaded and cached when CRM for tablets opens. Changes made to business rules are not applied until CRM for tablets is closed and re-opened.
- When you set the value of a lookup field, the text of the primary field value that is set in the form will always match the text that is visible in the rule definition. If the text representing the primary field value of the record you are setting in the lookup changes, the value set by your rule will continue to use the text portion of the primary field value defined by the rule. To fix this, update the rule definition to use the current primary name field value.
CRM 2015 SLA is now having 2 main types:
- Standard SLA
- Enahanced SLA
Below is a comparison between the 2 types:
|Populates First Response by and/or Resolve by values in the case entity.
||Uses a new entity (SLA KPI Instance) to store this data.
|Failure time stamped on case entity attributes.
||Failure/Warning times stamped on related SLA KPI Instance record displayed via a sub grid in the case form
|Timer control based on case entity fields; can be directly added to case form.
||Timer control based on related SLA KPI Instance fields; can be added using Quick From
|SLA Pause/Resume is not available
||SLA Pause/Resume while SLA Time calculation is automatically paused when a case is put on Hold, also the amount of time on hold is also tracked.
There is system setting that allows pausing cases SLA automatically for certain case status reasons.
The ability to pause can be disabled/enabled for each SLA.
|Success actions are not available.
||Trigger actions when an SLA is successful
- Cannot change SLA type once created.
- Case SLA cannot be sorted by Enhanced SLA fields as they are now on another entity.
- Queue Item views cannot display Enhanced SLA fields.
If we needed to change CRM service accounts at any point of time due to password loss or the need of setting specific SPN accounts as services accounts we can use the CRM repair wizard by running the installer and selecting the repair options, this option applies this change smoothly and without affecting the current CRM deployment.
I thought about whether it is possible to add custom case origin with their specified icons other than the default 5 origins to be displayed to the end user while navigating the cases list and found that is is possible, you can check the steps in the below MSDN article: